Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Laptop Dell Latitude D830 Deals & Reviews

David Bower (Houston, Texas, USA): We bought our Dell Latitude D830 in April of 2008 and have never had any sort of problem with it. It has always done the job required of it without any difficulties at all and worked perfectly right out of the box.
Admittedly we have not been a heavy user of the D830 and mostly use it around the house when we need some freedom to do our work somewhere other than our home offices. It has not been exposed to extremes of temperature and has not been dropped or otherwise subjected to abuse.


Suptrniq "nerd" (Puget Sound): I spend more time in Linux Mint 9 LXDE than I do in Windows.When I'm not in Linux Mint 9 LXDE, I'm either test booting Linux Distros from CD / DVD, using Sun VirtualBox to boot test downloaded ISOs, or creating or booting from Linux USB.
I've run just about every version of Ubuntu from version 9 up to / through version 10, Linux Mint (HIGHLY recommended - light on resources, user friendly): CrunchBang, Knoppix, Fedora 14, Puppy Linux, GeexBox, ZorinOS, Back-Box (Network Diagnostics, Network Security Toolkit also run without a hitch.
It has problems with Gnome 3.0 / Unity, and the latest versions (11.*) of Ubuntu as well as running 3D graphics or for that matter HD video.


George "shakyphotogragher" (Tonawanda, New York United States): The keyboard is "clackier" than the quiet D620's, but I'm getting used to it. The speakers on the D830 are larger and placed to either side of the keyboard resulting in superior sound (but still no bass). The trackpoint was essential for me, although as a desktop replacement I more often use an external USB mouse. The display is bright and inviting; the brightness automatically dims when on battery power (customizable in BIOS and anytime with special keystrokes). The D830 cannot compare to the processing power in newer PCs, but this is the fastest system I have ever owned. Even though it was not designed for Windows 7 I find it zippy for all my normal browsing/streaming tasks. Battery life is a surprising 3+ hours right now. Note that I have not attempted use of demanding software and the D830 is not for 3D gaming.


Franky(Japan): My Dell D830 15.4" is equipped with a 2.2GHz Intel Core2Duo processor, 2 GBs of installed memory and a 90 GB hard drive. The build quality of Dell's business-oriented Latitute line from this era I believe is quite good. I already own a Dell D620 14.1" laptop that I like and wanted to stick with what I knew but was also looking for a desktop replacement. The most noticeable difference between the two, besides the size and weight difference, is that the D830 is MUCH quieter. The larger cooling system doesn't run at full speed except under full processing power and even then it isn't as noisy. The D620 runs at full speed with a higher pitched whine at all times. Even the Logitech N200 cooling pad cuts its down by only a little. The D830 is an update to the Dx20 Latitute line, so perhaps that specific issue was addressed.

1 comment: