Saturday, July 27, 2013

Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Mobile Workstation Deals & Reviews

Backbutton "Notify, Confirm & Assure" (Connecticut): I have had my M6400 Covet for almost 2 years now. It is a great desktop replacement, but portability is not a strong suite. I've carried it on trips but it is just too heavy--best as stationary.
Performance wise, no compliants, runs anything. It has the QX9300 Quad Core and I have it at 8 GB out of 16 GB max; it is fast, but upgrading to 16 GB is cost prohibitive for me now. Running Windows Vista 64 Bit. Have 2 hard drives installed. The laptop screen is beautiful to behold, but I use it docked with a 24 inch external display at 1920 x 1200, a IBM keyboard and three mice--it is a desktop replacement for me.


David Bellwood (NY): My version of the Precision M6400 came with the full 12Gb of RAM and the Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 3.07 GHz processor, somewhat upgunned from the boilerplate listing. It also came with a Seagate 500Gb 7,200rpm HDD. I happened to have its twin, so I installed the pair in a RAID0 configuration. I have an Intel Quad Core Q9100 processor which I will be installing in place of the T9900. Even though the computer is 4 years old, with its video card, I have a unit which will do everything I want to do in Photoshop and DxO for years to come; and I can always upgrade the video card too.


Nasser Borquet (Costa Rica): The Dell is a thing of beauty, at least to my eyes - fine industrial design executed to perfection in excellent materials, no corners cut, no unnecessary flourishes. Every time I pick it up and put it across my knees - yes, I don't have a desk to put it on - I'm a happy camper. The keyboard is wonderful to type on, the screen is crystal clear and the colour depth stunning, the touchpad and the buttons, and the pointing stick are finely tuned and responsive. Almost every aspect of the computer can be adjusted in the BIOS or in on-screen menus. People comment about the system's weight, but that is a necessary price that has to be paid for the build, including in my case two hard drives, and absolute rigidity and protection of the internal components.

H. Mahe "Shadyrose" (Phoenix, AZ): If you want to do anything more than browse the web! As the other reviewer said it *should* be great for gaming...but it's not. It has issues running games on the lowest settings (Rift, WoW even farmville). It also gets extremely hot and if you want to play with it on your lap you HAVE to have a cooling pad, but good luck finding one large enough for this monster. Also, the corners are very sharp and dig into your arms after a while.
I got this as a replacement for my old laptop through the accidental damage warranty, just glad I didn't actually pay for this model cuz I would be really upset then! Don't waste your money, there are much better gaming laptops out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment