Saturday, July 27, 2013

Laptop Dell Precision M6500 Deals & Reviews

Philip Menke (Paris, France): I've been using Dell computers from Optiplexes with 486 processors onwards, and never had big nasty issues with them. OK, the mice on some of the older lattitudes somethimes would go funny but that's it. Those boxes would go on for ever. Now, about two years ago I was up for a replacement, and as business was good, and I need a machine with a lot of oomph so I can run several VMWares at a time, they told me I could get one of the more powerful machines Dell was making at the time: The Dell Precision M6500. Big box, intel I7, 16 gigs of memory, big 17" screen. Sounds nice eh? It wasn't full hate on first sight, but on first touch, that machine is _heavy_.


Aussiebat (Denver, CO USA): I bought from EZbuycafe and spent a little more buying refurbished rather than used. I have been more than pleased with my purchase and could kick myself for not doing this a year earlier after spenting $400 on a new laptop (HP) that was a waste of time. My entire setup with monitor was around $300. Despite a few small smudges it almost looks new. The speed is very good, and handles the large files I'm dealing with in making a short film/video with ease. I have more than enough USB ports and ports for all kinds of other devices. Can't speak for others, but I think I got a deal in terms of price and computing capacity. Thank you seller!!!


ADouglasAdamsfan (LV, NV usa): Ans that's without the Chernobyl-sized external PSU (if you use a smaller, non 240 watt unit, the machine slows down. Considerably. And it doesn't charge, which isn't that big of a deal because even when fully charged with a new battery you're not going to get anything beyond a meagre 90min battery life. Not enough to watch an inflight movie but that doesn't matter, as hey, this box doesn't fit on your average economy class tray either. Or business for that matter. The only issue is that it hardly fits in the overhead bins on a ATR 42 either. After two years, the innards are fairly new. All of them.


Jean S. Hickey: The outside aluminium shell is durable though, together with the 512Gb HD is the only part of the computer that hasn't been replaced by Dell Support. (If you're ever going to get a Dell PC, make sure you tick the "keep HD" option in the warranty options. You'll need it). The machine is big, unwieldy, and prone to breaking. The shell latch is vulnerable, the inside very prone to overheating. The outside to; this is not a laptop unless you want your lap to be cooked. The Dell Precision gets very, very hot. You probably could cook an egg on the bezel. I however do not get the impression that all that power is going to the CPU; the machine is actually quite slow in some respects; Booting Windows 7 (granted, not from a SSD) takes about four minutes, starting a browser can take up to twenty seconds. It does run a few VM's simultaneously, however, make sure you shut these down, before the machine hibernates. The box has a tendancy not to be able to wake up from hibernation.

1 comment: